5/29/09

PETA or pita?

I went to PETA's website yesterday, after the amazing, heavenly Arby's sandwich.  This same action solidified my veganism ten years ago, but somehow I didn't think twice about it.  I read and read about all the bad stuff I've been ignoring for four years, and in an instant, decided that I would no longer eat meat. As Karen and I sat down to eat at one of our favorite burger places, I ate my black bean salsa and toasted pita chips and began to tell her tiny factoids about how community-oriented cows are, and how chickens like to spend time in groups, all the things that PETA taught me.  She looked around, and tried to change the subject by asking:

'How about you tell me what you know about pita'
me: (blink.  blink, blink.)

How often is it that one tries to change the subject, and randomly picks another word that sounds exactly like the word they're trying to avoid?  Probably not often.

No comments: